"Los Tulipanes"

"Los Tulipanes"
48 X 48, oil on panel

Monday, April 23, 2012

"Untitled" at The Rio Grande Gallery



I think it is kind of entertaining that every time I have a painting in a show, my daughter likes to touch it a little while it is hanging there, she knows we shouldn't- but she knows that it is mine, so it is a little privilege she can't resist indulging in.  It cracks me up every time.

This is a great exhibit at the Rio Grande Gallery right now, it is a fun concept- the public is invited to come and "title" the "untitled".  They have cards and pencils on there for you to write your suggestions, and a little hook beside each painting to hang your suggestions on.  Naming paintings is a difficult task, so this should be fun to collect some great titles.  Usually that is one of the hardest parts of the whole process for me.  Occasionally I will have a title all ready even before I start the painting, other than that, I go with pretty obvious descriptions (although I am really running out of those when it comes to red tulips)  sometimes my brother will work on names for me- and he does a great job.

At the opening of this show, my oldest daughter wrote : "Sarah Lily of the Tulip Painter" as her suggestion, it makes me smile.  She was asking me to help her spell each word, and I was eager to hear what each next word would be.  It was suspenseful because it was a slow process, (lollipops in one hand, pencil in the other) but I love what she came up with.


3 comments:

David Malan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
natalie malan said...

That is the cutest title EVER! So cute! You should post a close up of this! It's so pretty!

Sarah said...

Thank you Natalie! I will get on it and find a close up to post.