"Los Tulipanes"

"Los Tulipanes"
48 X 48, oil on panel

Friday, October 18, 2013

a rose from my great aunt




After her husband passed away, my great aunt kept the last roses he had given her. Though wilted and most of the petals had fallen off, she kept then because they were his last gift. She selected a withered rose with the most petals and offered it to me. Two more petals fell off. I declined because I realized the sentimentality it represented. Again, she insisted. At home I gently set the withered rose on my drawing table. I wasn't sure what to do. Then I understood- I must paint it because it represented the love of her husband. Flowers give peace, comfort, and love. I named my daughter after my aunt because of her treasured influence. (This painting is part of my exhibit currently on display in The Springville Museum of Art)


No comments: